Take a course with me for FREE

Handmade Skin Care for Beginners: 7 Easy All-Natural Recipes You Can Make Right Now


Sign up to get the lessons sent to your inbox
* indicates required
By signing up you'll also receive my weekly newsletter—awesome herbal skin care recipes and mini-classes, no spam ever. Read my privacy policy.

Coconut Lavender Cuticle Balm Recipe

Whip up this DIY coconut lavender cuticle balm to help moisturize brittle nails and dry, ragged cuticles. It's super easy to make and you'll notice big results. By Angela Palmer at Farm Girl Soap Co.

I am always so excited when the weather warms and the ground thaws. When the daffodils and the rhubarb start peaking their little buds up out of the dirt. After a long, cold winter it's wonderful to get out into the garden.

But my hands don't like it too much. Although I have a stack of gloves stashed around the house, the barn, the shop, they don't always make it onto my hands. I'll just be walking down the drive and see a weed. I don't want to spend time to go find a pair of gloves just for one little weed. I'll pull it but, like potato chips, once you start...

Next thing I know I've weeded the walk and several beds barehanded. And my nails and cuticles show it. (This is one of many reasons why I will never, ever get a manicure. I'd ruin it like, immediately.)

I do make a point to keep my nails and cuticles extremely moisturized, though. This not only helps them look presentable but keeps them healthier.

Moisturized nails are less likely to get brittle and break, and moisturized cuticles won't tear as easily either.

This cuticle balm is one of my favorites because it feels luxurious and smells great. This alone makes me crave using it. It is super easy to make, too. With regular use you'll notice a big improvement in your nails.
 

RECIPE: Coconut Lavender Cuticle Balm

If you're not a big fan of lavender, feel free to substitute any other essential oil. Some lovely ones that work well for the nails are frankincense, myrrh, lemon, or rosemary.

What you'll need:
1 tbsp. coconut oil (virgin gives your balm the yummiest scent)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tbsp. beeswax
12 drops lavender essential oil

Step 1: Melt the coconut oil, olive oil, and beeswax together. Since we're working with such small amounts, it's easiest to do this in a small (4 oz.) mason jar. You can either microwave this, or set the jar into a pan of heated water until the oils melt.

Step 2: Remove from heat. Add in the lavender essential oil  stir until completely incorporated.

Step 3: Pour into a small container with lid. Let set undisturbed to cool completely. Once it's cool, you can place the lid on.

To use: Take out a small dab and massage into the nails and cuticles. This also makes a great nighttime hand balm.

Yield: About 1.25 oz.

Shelf life: Approximately 1 year

Learn how to handcraft natural skin care product with simple kitchen ingredients. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Ready to take your skin care crafting to the next level?

Take an online course with me and grow your skills as a DIY skin care crafter.

Start with my FREE e-course to learn how to make all-natural DIY skin care with simple kitchen ingredients.

* indicates required
If you're a Boise local, take an in-person class with me and get hands-on instruction. Visit the Private Workshops and Parties page for more info.